Monday, March 2, 2009

getting out of bed takes courage.

Week 01 writing prompts are finally in completion, and it has been a truly fascinating experience. From each prompt, I learned something new, felt a shift in my own narration, and re-organized a preceding notion. The most powerful thing about writing is what you learn along the way.


From the first exercise, writing about my day, using only nouns:

Email. iTunes. Mom and Dad. Ultrasone headphones. Felt-tip pens. words. sentences. doodles. Mac Pro. Pro-Tools. Monitors. Displays. Electricity. Bedroom. Quilt. Comforter. Book. reading glasses. Silence. Lamp. Candle. REM cycle.

From the second, a little introduction to my mind:

I obsess over the color red. It's everywhere to me. I add it in when I think something looks dull, it's always the first one I think of when color is mentioned. Vibrant, lively, and you don't need a lot of it to make a powerful statement. Red.
I am obsessed with documenting my life. I keep everything - movie stubs, pictures, airline tickets, cards. I want to remember all of it. Truth be told, I am afraid of forgetting. I am afraid of forgetting who I saw "Ice Age" with when I was 14. I am afraid that I will forget what my grandmother's penmanship looked like. I worry I won't see her face in my mind, hear her accent and the unique inflections in her speech. Details fade, they get washed away and it terrifies me to sit idly by while time labors forward, bringing with every new second, another distraction.


a: I walked up to him, looked right into his eyes, and smiled politely. He turned my world upside down for two years, and I let it all go. I turned and walked away, my head held high.


week 02 prompts are up, and I'm excited to continue. Good start to the week, I think.

2 comments:

Angela Tolsma said...

Like you nouns in a day.

I get the documenting everything, I try as much as I can!

Do you take all the pictures on your blog??

Eleanor said...

For the most part, some of the stuff I pull from the web, such as designs I like, shoes I have to have, haha, but other than that, yeah.