Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ups and Downs

Today has been a bit of a slow day, so I figured I'd do a blog entry. How about this economy we got going on? Pretty fantastic, huh? I am, of course, still on the job hunt with no foreseeable end in sight, but thus is life. Ups and downs, and right now, I think I speak for a large number of people when I say: this is a down. So what to blog about in a down? "Up" things, of course! Here are some of my "Ups" and I'd love to hear yours!


"Up" thing number 1: Perez Hilton
People are losing their jobs, their homes, and while hope is the name of the game and Obama is on the mission, Rome wasn't built in a day. (It was Rome, right? I can't remember now.) But in this time of downs, I want to give a recommendation to the catty celebrity news stylings of our very own Perez Hilton. He has vendettas against some, harbors undying love for others (who else could coin the terms RPattz and Zaquisha with such dexterity?) and he won my heart officially with this particular photo. Well, him and Ellen Degeneres (seen here.)


"Up" thing number 2: South Louisiana Culture
With Mardi Gras just right around the corner (did everyone get their king cakes on order?), I felt it necessary to include some Cajun flair to this entry. Bloggers, I was born in Plano, Texas (a suburb of the Dallas/Fort Worth region, for those of you unaware), but my family hails from the backwoods and crawfish fields of the Atchafalaya Basin. All right, honestly? It's a swamp, but when you call it a Swamp, everyone thinks of that guy from Waterboy that no one can understand, and that's not me. That is, however, my family. Here's to traditional Mardi Gras, crawfish boils, rice fields and strangers greeting you on the streets with a friendly, "Where you from, child?" Flat lands, loud families and great food. 


"Up" thing number 3: Shoes!
This one, at least for me, was an obvious. Okay, so I don't have a job, and I have no income, so technically I can't buy these shoes, but the very excitement of finding cute shoes and thinking about all the different outfits I could wear them with will be enough to tide me over for now. This particular shoe can be found at Urban Outfitters, but if you buy them before me, we will have a problem. My fix for a bad day? Online window shopping for shoes and jewelry. 


"Up" thing number 4: the written word.
I embrace the blogosphere, the internet and ease that comes with writing an email, but I still find happiness in sending a letter, card, or post card. I think there's a personalization in the written word that shouldn't get lost just because I type faster than I write. So I am making it a point to build up my address book, buy postcards and seasonal notes, and put in a little time to keeping up correspondence with my friends and family. I have every letter I have ever been written, every card I have received, and I treasure them. So send thank you notes, write letters, express yourself to someone you care for. It's healing.


"Up" thing number 5: letting the good times, roll.
The daily grind got you down? Broke? In Debt? Stressed beyond belief? It's awful, it piles up and it really takes it's toll. My suggestion? Get out. You don't even have to spend money! Gather your friends, bring a camera, and have fun. Goof off, go for a run, take in the sights, visit a park. Don't wait for the world to pick you up off your feet, go out and find your own good things. Keep your friends close, and keep living life. At the end of the day, if you're not living it, no one else will. 

I wish great things for all of you out there. Find your ups, and hold on tight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude your blog lay out is totally awesome. ;)

Marina H said...

Good post! Keep up the positive attitude and focus on the good things. Right now my good thing is that i made it 37% through Prince of Persia in one day. Woo i'm lame. Also that my boyfriend thinks that's attractive...so i guess that's a good thing.

Anyway, good blog, friend!

my word verification is "hanced." from now on i'm going to use that instead of enhanced. like if i need to go to full resolution on a video i'll be like, "Time to get this video 'hanced!" i so am. no really.