Saturday, August 15, 2009

Maybe I care, or maybe I just want comments. Who's to say?

From inside my well-air conditioned room, the world looks beautiful outside. Sadly, I live in Houston, Texas and therefore I know in my heart that if I step outside, there's about a 86% chance that the humidity will suffocate me. So I am opting to remain blissfully ignorant and just observe through the windows. (There is a bird shaped smudge on my window, just another reason that maybe the Aviary species should have an equivalent to the ATC.)

The clear blue skies and green grass just begs the question: What makes you feel clean? And shut up to the five of you who just said "soap" or "a shower" or some snarky answer like that. You know who you are. What I mean to say is, what makes your soul feel fresh, alive and free? Everyone has something in this world that makes their hearts feel a little lighter, that gives them the sense of internal rejuvenation. For me, it's days like this (however I would prefer a little NorCal summer weather to accompany it: ahh bay breeze and gentle sunlight) but I digress. I'm interested to know, anyone who reads this, what gives you an overwhelming sense of "can do, will do, want do?"

Here's mine:

+A long drive, with no destination.
+Riding shotgun with one of my dearest friends, chatting, laughing, mostly laughing.
+A great soundtrack. (A little "Bottom of a Hill" by Terri Hendrix, "Say" by John Mayer, and definitely something really silly and nostalgic like "Spice Up Your Life" by my childhood heroes, the Spice Girls.)
+Frequent, random stops with photos.
+Completed with the moment where you both say "stop the car" at the same time, and you know that you've made it to where you were going.


So let's make this a collaborative effort! What makes you free?

1 comment:

Stephen B said...

For me, to be free takes trickery. I have a really hard time not being unhappy.

Sure, it's nice to drive around with my windows down blasting showtunes and singing along... and pretending I know the songs better than I do. Of course, there will be the times that someone pulls beside me and I can tell they are yelling at me... then I get the feeling that someone is going to shoot me.

I recall a time in which I met someone off the internet and then we got drunk with his two friends and then we drove to a bar and I was super drunk in the backseat of a convertible with the roof down and just laughing away with the wind blowing in my face. It was a nice feeling. But for me being drunk enough to not be insecure usually ends with vomiting.

I can't really win. I can't even relax until I've been beaten into submission.

As of now, I've only found moments with a few individuals in one-on-one situations where I forget I'm me and can feel kind of safe and not like such a freak who is convinced someone is just going to come up and stab him.

Boy, I'm always a downer.